Currently, there are over five billion mobile users across the world, so whether you are a startup, a small business, or a large organization, you cannot ignore the mobile market. One dilemma that you cannot run away from though is the decision to go Android or iOS.
So let’s list down the advantages and disadvantages of both mobile app development platforms to help you make the right choice for your business.
Android App Development
- With an open system, you can get access to a broader range of features that may be restricted in iOS. As developers, this allows you the use of comprehensive Google design guidelines to build a seamless, intuitive user interface.
- One of the most significant advantages of building an Android app is the massive user base. You can create an app for a wide range of platforms like TVs, wearables, mobile phones, in-car system and more.
- In comparison to iOS app development, getting your Android app live on Google Play is easy. You may be able to pull it off in a few hours.
- Fragmentation in Android apps can also be a drawback of the platform. Android devices come in a large variety of screen sizes and resolutions. This means it will take your development team more time to customize the user experience for different devices.
- The QA team may need more time to test your app on different versions and devices of Android.
- Even though the cost of your app ultimately depends on your app features and complexity, but the more time development and QA team spend on the app, the higher will be their charges.
iOS App Development
- Apple users usually spend more on app purchases than Android users. This means building your iOS app with an iOS app development agency may increase your revenue.
- The iOS operating system only functions with Apple devices hence, your app only needs to cater to a limited number of screens and devices.
- Apple has a detailed guide available for iOS developers for the app user interface. It allows your app development team to take less time and the app design stage becomes more affordable.
- Apple’s App Store has some strict review guidelines and this can make your app release process a little tiring. Apple may reject your app due to reasons like lack of valuable content, security issues or poor performance, therefore, it is essential to work with an iOS app development agency that has experience in making apps live on the App Store.
- It is often hard to customize your iOS apps because the platforms lack flexibility and have many restrictions.
Now let’s compare both operating systems.
When building your mobile app, one of the first things you need to figure out is your demographics. Presently, Android holds the most prominent global platform share with a significant section coming from developing countries and lower-income groups.
However, a large section of iOS users is a younger group of people with a higher level of education who earn relatively earn more money, and they spend more on apps as well.
So before deciding between iOS and Android, you should know who your target audience is, so you can effectively reach them.
App Development Cost
Budget limitations are a reality you have to consider. When going between iOS and Android development, you have to keep in mind that developing an Android app may cost more. As we talked about it earlier, Android powers a wide range of screen sizes, this usually increases the development team and cost. On the other hand, there is a lesser number of iOS powered devices, which often speeds up the app development process.
That said, the cost of developing the Android and the iOS app still largely depends on the features and complexity of your app idea. Moreover, also keep in mind, Apple App Store and Google Play both have their charges for publishing an app.
Android and iOS, both have their unique app testing processes. Test Flight, the app testing environment for iOS, is faster than the Android emulator. Whereas, the Android emulator virtual testing system is more effective with a more realistic demonstration.
Operating system updates
Usually, both operating systems come up with a software update at least once every year. Thus, make sure to consider the time and level of difficulty you will face when updating the OS version and how it is going to impact the user experience and business strategy.
While choosing between iOS and Android, another thing to consider is the niche of your industry and how do you expect your users to engage with the app. Whether you want to a higher amount of users or you prefer fewer users who engage more frequently. The decision you make will have a significant impact on your app monetization strategy. iOS users are often more engaged, whereas Android has a far-reaching audience in general.
When you are choosing between iOS and Android app development, consider the advantages and disadvantages of both operating systems and how they fit in with your specific target audience and app features. Your budget, app idea, deadlines and other factors we discussed in this article are a few facets you should take into account before making the decision.
- iOS vs. Android App Development – What Is Better For Your Startup? - October 30, 2019