Go to Affordable Dev for your one-stop shop for all your app development needs and tell them Steve sent you. For a limited time, you can save 20% off your next app.
Are you developing a mobile app? Get anything from icons and buttons to your entire mobile app designed at 99designs! You can start your next graphic design project for as low as $199. Visit 99designs.com/Chat and get a $99 Power Pack of services for free.
Subscribe to the Show
About the Episode
Have you been toying with the idea of publishing a newsstand app? Well today’s guest tells us how he got started and the one thing you should do to if you want to launch your newsstand app. Also, listen to how simply changing the location of a button led to subscriptions making up 90% of the conversions.
For this episode, we talk to Paul Blake, the editor and publisher of App Publisher Magazine.
App Publisher magazine is a digital magazine for anyone who needs help publishing their content onto mobile and apps. It covers all aspects of moving content onto mobile – from content creation, structure and design, to app marketing, business models and customer engagement. The maiden issue launched this January and is currently getting ample downloads for Paul to hit his 6k goal. Apart from sharing that, Paul also gives us insights on the first steps we need to take if you are passionate about starting a magazine.
Here are the other highlights of my discussion with Paul:
- App Publisher’s content coverage and what made him want to do a newsstand app instead of a blog,
- Their ideal reader, the magazine’s goals and the experiments they are doing along the way,
- The platform he uses and how he comes up with content,
- Building relationships, nurturing an audience, and all the key elements of creating a magazine,
- Driving downloads, how they get subscribers and what social media platform had worked from him,
- The triggers for his magazine’s download spikes and how he managed revenue dips, and
- Publishing articles and other approaches to drive traffic.
As most developers, Paul had also struggled when it came to charging his content so we also touched on how he managed to deal with pricing and the fact that people value the things that they pay for.
– Fav app: Byword: (iTunes)