Go to Affordable Dev for your one-stop shop for all your app development needs and tell them Steve sent you. For a limited time, you can save 20% off your next app.
Are you developing a mobile app? Get anything from icons and buttons to your entire mobile app designed at 99designs! You can start your next graphic design project for as low as $199. Visit 99designs.com/Chat and get a $99 Power Pack of services for free.
Subscribe to the Show
About the Episode
Today guest is an 18-year-old iOS developer who created a Game Boy Advance simulator on the iPhone that made Apple change its app distribution policy twice! Also, listen to how he learned how to code with a book, YouTube, and Google at the age of 13.
Remember the days when you went crazy with Game Boys? We have found an app solution for you if you are feeling nostalgic. Our guest for today is the 18-year-old IOS developer and creator of GBA4IOS, Riley Testut .
GBA4IOS (Game Boy Advance for IOS) is basically a simulation of the Game Boy Advance platform for you to play these types of games in your Apple device, making two worlds collide.The original GBA4IOS had been downloaded 15M times when it came out a year ago and 2.0 alone had been downloaded 2.2M as of March 5th. Beat that!
Below are the highlights of my discussion with Riley:
- How his creation came about, how to get access to the app and how it first started with his circle of friends;
- His use of Google analytics for tracking of downloads;
- Being self-taught simply through books and Google and building his first app, Shoot Around, with no prior programming experience;
- His feelings about having these download numbers at 18 years old and his thoughts on the Flappy Bird mania; and
- Internships, college, summer, being featured in MacRumors and having a girlfriend because of his app.
What’s amazing about all these is that Riley has no plans in monetizing this success – no ads, no donations – just free for everyone to enjoy!
– Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK
– Fav app: Tweetbot: (iTunes)
- This Intermittent Fasting App is Making $300K a Month - June 3, 2020
- 786: Why It Pays to Be Bold with App Monetization Guilhem Duche - June 2, 2020
- Mobile Game Monetization: How to 2X ARPDAU - June 1, 2020