Sensor Tower is the best bet to get your app noticed. The platform has all the right tools to grow your user base and get exposure in all the right countries. Research your competitors, get new ideas, and optimized your app until you’re getting more of the right kind of users. Sign up for free at GetSensorTower.com.
Are you developing a mobile app? Get anything from icons and buttons to your entire mobile app designed at 99designs! You can start your next graphic design project for as low as $199. Visit 99designs.com/Chat and get a $99 Power Pack of services for free.
Subscribe to the Show
About the Episode
We all know PR is important, but a lot of times we don’t know where to start or how to write to a blogger. Well today’s guest breaks down the process step-by-step and teaches us how to do PR the right way. Also, he talks about some of the misconceptions of PR and why you shouldn’t pay attention to them.
Steps in Doing PR the Right Way
- Figure out the announcements you are going to make – You have to come up with a newsworthy item, launching your Android version, for example, and the goal of these announcements is to maximize your press as much as possible. A mistake is to announce the funding you want to make together with the launch. These should be two separate announces to double to amount of coverage.
- Identify your biggest story – Focus not on what the company is today but what the mission and vision is and cover this in the press release. Highlight social proofs about your company or interesting and unique aspects to differentiate your product at the very front.
- Craft your press release – If you want to be covered, you have to email the journalist. Condense your correspondence to about 200 words and your email pitches should be a snapshot of your announcement. Direct the email to the specific writers who would typically cover your story. Three parts that you should cover: your vision, one to two features backing up this vision and a quote from the founder.
PR Misconceptions You Shouldn’t Listen To
- Under-optimizing the benefits of PR – many founders believe that because their company was featured on Mashable, that all of their partners and investors had seen the media coverage. This is just a small factor of the population so reach out to more but leverage and mention the fact that you got featured on these sites. Make sure that you also reach out to their social media manager so you will get exposure in these other platforms.
- Exclusives are still important – this means that the publication has the right to publicize it first but it doesn’t mean you can’t reach out to others after that initial publication. Don’t email other publications yet though until you are sure that your article has come online.
- Belief that you need prior connections –relationships can help in all walks of life but what is more important is the process. If you do your PR right, you can cold email journalists and they will be happy to offer coverage even if you do not have prior connections with them.
- You don’t have to pay $10+k for a good PR – you can do can get the PR you need by yourself.
What advice would you give to anyone looking to build a mobile app?
Get over the fear of emailing to journalists and you will get far ahead.
– Fav app: Dualingo: (Google Play)
- This Intermittent Fasting App is Making $300K a Month - June 3, 2020
- 786: Why It Pays to Be Bold with App Monetization Guilhem Duche - June 2, 2020
- Mobile Game Monetization: How to 2X ARPDAU - June 1, 2020