Go to Affordable Dev for your one-stop shop for all your app development needs and tell them Steve sent you. For a limited time, you can save 20% off your next app.
Are you developing a mobile app? Get anything from icons and buttons to your entire mobile app designed at 99designs! You can start your next graphic design project for as low as $199. Visit 99designs.com/Chat and get a $99 Power Pack of services for free.
Subscribe to the Show
About the Episode
What do you do when you realize that your business will be out of cash in 6 months? Well listen to how today’s guest went from corporate life to making a living off his apps to nearly going bankrupt and how he changed his approach to charging for updates for his popular apps. Also, listen to the tip that today’s guest gives about sending emails to the press and how he managed to get featured on The Verge.
Our guest for today is the opinionated Russell Ivanovic, the co-founder of Shifty Jelly, the company which created Pocket Weather Au and Pocket Cast.
Our interesting conversation today involves a different take in coming up with apps and marketing them and the fun things he and his business partner had gone through in between. Not a boring moment in our episode today so tune in as Russell shares:
- How the Pocket Weather app triggered their change of professions and changed their lives,
- The need for changes in weather apps that prompted the creation of their own,
- How Pocket Cast born, what problems they were trying to solve upon its creation and how they come up with the features and the refinements that followed,
- The step by step process of Pocket Cast development including Russell introducing me to Skala preview,
- Tips on marketing and how to get more downloads,
- The rule they follow in determining market value for their apps, and
- The challenges they had experienced so far being in this industry for five years.
Taking it from Russell, the app industry has indeed come a long way. There are currently millions of apps in the app store and it will take effort for your app to stand out. So ‘don’t expect to be an overnight millionaire or for things to fall into place. Do the hard work’.