Go to Affordable Dev for your one-stop shop for all your app development needs and tell them Steve sent you. For a limited time, you can save 20% off your next app.
Are you developing a mobile app? Get anything from icons and buttons to your entire mobile app designed at 99designs! You can start your next graphic design project for as low as $199. Visit 99designs.com/Chat and get a $99 Power Pack of services for free.
Subscribe to the Show
About the Episode
Are you quietly launching your mobile app without ANYONE writing about it? Well today’s guest teaches us his analytical approach to reaching out to the press that has landed his app on Life Hacker, CNET, Pando Daily and many more publications. Also, listen to the awesome email tool that he recommends and why it’s something that I’m now using.
With the thousands of apps out there, it is now becoming a feat to get featured by Apple. For our guest for this episode though, fate had a hand in arranging this for him and added by his fearlessness in approaching people to tell the story behind his app, he was able to get his app in that coveted spot.
We have Daniel Lau, the developer and maker of UpWord Note and Unsplurge with us to share to us about this experience and more.
Here are the highlights of my discussion with Daniel:
- A background on their two apps: UpWord Note and Unsplurge, where the idea for their apps came from and their focus between the two,
- Their pricing model and strategies such as having intervals where their apps are given free,
- How they arrived with their marketing video and the cost of getting a high quality one,
- Filtering and incorporating customer feedback but sticking to their apps’ value of simplicity,
- How a lucky plane seat number bagged them an Apple feature and how they got press from other publications, and
- The app venture eating up their savings and other challenges in monetization.
Daniel also gives us a great tip in tracking emails through Bananatag that we can creatively use towards getting press, so listen in!